Patient Instructions for Transabdominal Ultrasound
- Empty your bladder 1 1/2 hours prior to the appointment time.
- At ONE hour before the appointment, DRINK 24 OZ. of non-carbonated fluid, preferably water.
- Avoid carbonated beverages (these have gas bubbles that remain in the bowel which can interrupt the sound waves that are necessary to make the ultrasound picture).
- Finish drinking the fluid prior to checking in for the appointment.
- PLEASE, DO NOT urinate prior to the ultrasound exam. We may need your bladder full for the ultrasound exam.
- Take your regular medications.